Turn On or Transfer Electric and/or Natural Gas Service to an Existing House, Apartment or Manufactured Home
If you are an existing Entergy customer or new to our area, these instructions
should help you get electric or gas service for your home. To help speed up
the process, please have all the necessary information when you call
also may complete your application online.
Step 1 – Provide Required Information.
Please be prepared to provide the following information:
• Street address (valid street number and apartment number, if applicable).
Please use your 911 address (no PO box numbers) to avoid a delay.
• Mailing address (if different from above).
• Name (Must be at least 18 years of age). If a deposit is required, it will
appear on your first month's bill.
You will be asked to provide this additional information:
• Drivers license number and state of issue
• Social Security number
• Date of birth
• Daytime telephone number or a contact person if more information is needed
and to avoid delay.
• Directions to the property including directional street address (e.g., South
Main or North Main Street)
Note: Entergy performs turn-on services Monday through Friday, and observes
the following holidays: New Year's Day, Memorial Day, Independence Day, Labor
Day, Thanksgiving Day, Christmas Eve, and Christmas Day.
Step 2 – Review Permit Requirements
• A permit may be required from your city or parish. If so, any required
inspections or permits must be
made before Entergy can connect your electric and/or service. Entergy must
receive the permit or approval from the permitting authority before
establishing your service. Entergy will notify you by telephone when we
receive your permit or approval.
• For apartments, the management may have requested the inspection and
received the permit or approval. You should verify that this has occurred in
order to avoid delays.
Step 3 – Establishing the Electric or Natural Gas Service Request – What to
• Notify Entergy at least two business days in advance of your desired date
for electric or natural gas service for an existing home, apartment or
manufactured home. If no permits are required and all information is complete,
Entergy will turn your service on within two business days.
• Notify Entergy at least three business days in advance if the structure is
brand new (and you have the permit already).
Note: More time will be needed if Entergy has to specially design your
installation. For example, setting a transformer or new pole may extend your
service initiation date by 15 business days.
• For electric service, your establishment’s main breakers must be turned off
prior to service being connected. If not, your service could be delayed.
• For natural gas service, someone over the age of 18 must be present at the
location at the installation time to allow Entergy to perform a safety check.
• If a permit or approval is required, Entergy must place your order on hold
until we receive it. Once we receive the permit or approval, your service
should be connected within two business days. We will alert you of the
scheduled turn-on date. Please provide a good daytime telephone number so that
we can reach you.
• Connect fees. A small fee may be collected on your first bill to energize
your home. The Louisiana Public Utility Commission has authorized the
following connect fees: Entergy Louisiana customers: $10; Entergy Gulf States
Louisiana customers: $18 each meter.
• Transferring your Entergy service. Entergy serves a four-state area. If
transferring service from one location to another where both are located
within the same Entergy Company, then no additional deposit is required, as
your current deposit will transfer. Otherwise your deposit requirement shall
be based upon your prior paying habits.
• If there is an existing outdoor area light associated with the property, you
will be asked if you desire to continue this service. You also have the option
to inquire about our outdoor area lighting programs.
Step 4 – Consider Additional Program Options
You are invited to examine our programs online or discuss them with our
representatives if you apply for service over the telephone. Once your service
is established you can also revisit this website and apply online.
For more information, go to Customer Service